Department of Finance and Administration
The following are the functions of the Department of Finance and Administration: –
- Ensuring adequate provision of administrative and financial support to all departments of the Ministry
- Coordinating the implementation of financial procurement, ICT and records management policies, procedures and systems
- Coordinating the preparation of Ministry’s annual financial and procurement plans and budgets and monitoring their implementation
- Supervising the installation and implementation of appropriate financial management and internal control systems to minimize risk and fraud
- Overseeing the procurement and contract management functions of the Ministry
- Assessing financial impact on the implementation of Ministry work plans and budgets
- Overseeing annual financial audits and adequate management responses to audit queries is provided
- Ensuring effectiveness and functionality of records management system including general, confidential and personnel records
- Overseeing the general welfare and discipline of Ministry staff in accordance with civil service rules and regulations and security policy of Ministry
- Coordinating the recording of minutes of Ministry staff and management meetings
- Effectively and efficiently managing logistics and other physical assets of the Ministry
- Developing and maintaining corporate estate plans and ensuring cleanliness, sanitation and hygiene controls of Ministry premises
- Coordinating the development and implementation of departmental staff training plans
- Preparation and implementation of annual work plans and budget
The department is divided into Finance, Procurement, Human Resource Management (HRM) and Administration, Information Communication Technology (ICT) and Records and Archives Management Sections. The following table provides the functions for each of the 5 sections:
|1 Finance Section
|· In liaison with the Director, to determine the short, medium and long term strategy for financial management of the Ministry along with the overall management and financial reporting procedures
· Manage the financial accounting and reporting systems, taking into account the changing accounting and reporting needs of the Ministry and allied stakeholders.
· Prepare and maintain yearly budgets and forecasts. To ensure that fellow and directors, managers have appropriate training to prepare budgets for their area of specific budget responsibility, and accept accountability for their maintenance;
· Prepare detailed monthly management accounts across all Directorates of the Ministry
· Monitor actual performance against budget on a monthly basis and report on variances;
· Produce statutory accounts and any other reports required by the Ministry, in close cooperation with Auditor and Accountant General’s
· Ensure that Ministry’s accounts and accounting systems are maintained in accordance with relevant accounting standards and compliant to the requirements of the Ministry.
· Maintain schedules and records on all / any hire purchase agreements; records on all financial agreements; records on all loans and to assume responsibility for all insurances and public and liabilities insurances including the preparation of a risks register and produce a report on same each year before renewal.
· Develop detailed terms of reference for administrative and finance department as well as individual staff.
· Conduct a capacity assessment of the current departments as well as the Ministry to also provide requisite training to all staff on required administration and finance;
· Develop administrative, financial and procurement processes and procedures in line with approved PFM, human resource and administration processes as laid down by the Puntland Civil Service Commission as well as other processes approved by the Government and in line with best practices.
· In consultation with the institutional capacity development department and HR Manager develop and deliver mentoring, training and capacity development to ensure that all relevant Ministry staff performing these functions is able to do so.
· Coaching key staff members up to a level of competency to be able to competently perform senior roles in the unit.
|2 Procurement Section
|· Plans, organizes and co-ordinates the procurement of supplies, materials, equipment and services for the ministry
· Develops, implements and monitors a procurement plan for the Ministry
· Advise on the appropriate procurement methods to be used for procurement of goods and consultancy services under the project
· Manages the procurement process and ensures all procurement activities comply with applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures of the Ministry and the Puntland Procurement Authority.
· Manages operational procurement activities processing including: drafting procurement plans, bidding documents, adverts, request for quotations; procedures in issuing BDs, procedures in short listing suppliers for invitations for quotations, receipt of bids/quotations, opening of bids/quotations, evaluation of bids/quotations, preparation of evaluation reports and draft contract agreements…etc.
· Prepares expressions of interest, request for proposals, letters of invitation, request for proposals and other tender documents.
· Participates and provides guidance to the evaluation process and the preparation of bid/proposal evaluation reports and award recommendations for procurements in compliance with national government laws, policies and regulations.
· Carries out pre-qualification exercises to establish and maintain a database of approved contractors.
· Establishes and implements a contractor performance management system to assess indicators such as capabilities and qualities
· Conducts bidders’ meetings, provide clarification and prepares minutes on the bidding process as required
· Ensure that complete documentation is maintained on all procurement cases and coordinate and respond to procurement queries, disputes, and complaints; including the development of procurement database system. Establish a central procurement filing system, and ensure all related documents are included in the respective files.
· Participate and provide guidance during negotiations and contracting phase including supporting contract management teams and the necessary oversight and monitors contract progress and variations to take action to remedy slippages
· Monitors and reviews the execution of contracts to ensure compliance with stipulated terms and makes recommendations to ensure probity and proper performance by both parties
· Handles claims and disputes, claims against warranties and works towards the resolution of conflicts and problems arising out of cases of poor performance for non-compliance with contractual obligations within the terms and conditions of contracts
· Responsible for contract closure, including identifying best practices and lessons learned and performing contractor assessment from a contract management perspective
· Sets up procedures for timely request for funding and disbursement for authorized expenditure
· Forecasts procurement needs of the programme by conferring with management and staff to ascertain their requirements
· Maintains a record of all supplies, equipment and services procured and disposed
· Plans and organizes the logistics associated with prompt delivery of supplies, materials, equipment and services to meet the need of the Programme
· Maintains inventory control and recommends procurement strategies
· Uses technical and financial information to inform on budget preparation, procurement strategies, priorities and timing
· Prepares reports and other documents as required on procurement matters and undertakes a full risk analysis including mitigation measures for all contracts
· Performs any other related duties assigned by your supervisor/line manager
· Manage the bidding/auction procedures for the disposal of unserviceable, obsolete, or surplus supplies and equipment under the guidance of the board of survey and other concerned authority/committee.
· Manage the processes for the transfer to government departments or other public entities with or without financial adjustment where an asset may be usefully utilized by another procuring entity; the disposal of the asset shall be by formal transfer.
· Manage destruction, dumping, burying or such other form of disposal.
· Prepare procurement plans
· Plan and administer concession up to but excluding evaluation and award of concession contracts
· Prepare concession bid documents in collaboration with technical experts
· Receive and safeguard bids received
· Conduct bid opening procedures in accordance with law
· Perform secretarial services for the Ministry
· Such other functions as may be conferred by the head of the entity in accordance with law
· Provide internal logistical services to the ministry
· Maintenance and registration of the current and fixed assets of the Ministry
· Observing overall security conditions of the ministry buildings
|3 Human Resource Management (HRM) and Administration||· Ensuring that HR strategies are developed and properly planned to support improvement in employee performance in the Ministry
· Developing and implementing progressive career structures and reward systems for employees to enhance employee motivation and retention in the Ministry
· Providing Ministry development and management services support to ensure continuous reforms including timely changes to organizational structures, creation of new functions and abolishing of redundant functions, and recommending appropriate staffing requirements that are consistent with the mandate of the organization.
· Developing and implementing Ministry’s performance management and staff appraisal system.
· Maintaining the work structure by updating job requirements and job descriptions for all positions in the Ministry.
· Preparing employees for assignments by establishing and conducting orientation and training programs for the Ministry’s staff.
· Maintaining a pay plan by conducting periodic pay surveys, scheduling and conducting job evaluations, preparing pay budgets, monitoring and scheduling individual pay actions, recommending, planning, and implementing pay structure revisions.
· Ensuring planning, monitoring, and appraisal of Ministry’s employees work results by training managers to coach and discipline employees, scheduling management conferences with employees, hearing and resolving employee grievances, counselling employees and supervisors.
· Maintaining management guidelines by preparing, updating, and recommending human resource policies and procedures.
· Maintaining historical human resource records by designing a filing and retrieval system; keeping past and current records.
· Maintaining professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
· Completing human resource operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
· Maintaining human resource staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
· Contributing to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
· Coordinating general administration, staff services, policies, systems and procedures at the commission
· Overseeing the management of central records function, transport services, telephone services, mail office services, library services, and pool production/photocopy services within Ministry
· Ensuring general administration, coordination and supervision
· Enforcing implementation of transport policy and related transport matters
· Managing the office building, leases, security and safety measures
· Initiating and coordinating workshops/retreats for commissioners and top management
· Handling disciplinary matters concerning drivers and support staff for the Ministry
|4 ICT Section
|· Identify the ICT needs of the office of the ministry departments in consultation with other staff, communicating with users to formulate and produce a requirements specification to create system and software solutions.
· Develop and manage a database covering overall business operations and activities of the assigned institutions.
· Ensuring that Ministry systems are compatible with and other civil service IT applications
· Create, maintain and manage technical quality assurance processes and procedures to assess efficiency, validity, value and functional performance of computer systems and environments
· Ensuring adherence to accredited internal and external industry quality standards and regulations
· Plan, organize, direct, control and coordinate the acquisition, development, maintenance and use of ICT systems. Tasks will include:
o Analysing information needs and specifying technology to meet those needs;
o Formulating and directing information and communication technology strategies, policies and plans;
o Directing the selection and installation of ICT resources and the provision of user training;
o Setting priorities between system developments, maintenance and operations overseeing the security of ICT systems;
o Preparing purchase orders, monitoring supply sources and negotiating contracts with suppliers.
o Provide on the job training, coaching and mentoring for Ministry staff to manage all ITC procedures.
o Provide ITC advice and support to Ministry management.
o Ensure optimal database and system integrity, security, backup, reliability and performance.
o Perform the operational establishment and preventive maintenance of backups, recovery procedures, and enforcing security and integrity controls.
o Implementing and administering database documentation, guidelines, policies and procedures.
o Testing database systems and upgrades, such as debugging, tracking, reproduction, logging and resolving
all identified problems, according to approved quality.
|5 Records and Archives Management Section||· Managing manual and electronic archives
· Archiving all incoming / outgoing mail and documents
· Providing information to ministerial staff and management upon request